Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ

What is a Fellowship?

A Fellowship is a competitive award supported by a grant made directly to an individual of postgraduate university level, in support of advanced study in a specific academic discipline. It requires supervision, service, research, or teaching during or after the Fellowship period. It is customarily a non-degree program whose main outcome is to improve the Fellow’s knowledge, skills, competences and exposure to current information and technologies in a specific discipline.

I have heard of the HIV Fellowship Program offered at University of Nairobi. What is it, and what does it entail?

The Long term Fellowship is a 2 year, post masters fulltime training program offered on a competitive basis to Kenyan nationals. It is divided into three tracks or specializations as follows:

Program Management Track where applicants should have at least a Master’s degree in Health or related social and biological sciences,
Health Economics Track, applicants should have at least a Masters degree in Economics
Health Informatics Track, applicants should have Masters degree in Informatics, Information Systems, Computer Science or biostatistics.
Monitoring and Evaluation Track, applicants should have a Master's degree in Social or Biological Sciences with Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
Epidemeology and Biostatistics Track, applicants should have a Master's degree in Social or Biological Sciences with Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
The main objective of the Fellowship Program is to build Fellows’ capacity in program leadership and management through hands on training interspersed with classroom instruction. Fellows are placed in host institutions where they spend 75% of their time, with the remaining 25% reserved for class based training at UoN meant to enhance their competencies in identified technical fields.

How do I apply to join the HIV Fellowship Program?

Applications for the Fellowship Program are invited through the local media once a year in the last quarter. If you have access to the internet, you can also visit our program website at http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/projects/unitifp for an advertisement on the same.

Pages